A reason why a lot of people lack the ability to succeed, is due to a lack of confidence in themselves and their abilities. Many talk themselves out of it and others who are already so talented, often find it difficult to share their ability with others.
I was almost embarrassed to share my blog when I first started out, but it was around my 5th post I realised that if I don’t share the words that I write, I’ll have no chance of ever becoming a successful. I’ll never know what it is I need to do to improve and grow.
I think the hardest thing was being vulnerable to criticism and judgement, but here are 5 easy steps to help realise your potential and build the confidence you need to share your abilities with others.
- Talk to yourself: I can’t begin to describe how weird it was talking to myself, but it helps. Saying what you really want from life out loud really moves that dream closer to reality. Many people have said it before I have; saying what you want out loud is the first step to believing in yourself. Try it, be it in the car on the commute to work or the bathroom mirror, it doesn’t matter. Tell yourself what it is you want out of life and how you intend on getting it.
- Find Supporters: Before I had the guts to put my work up for everyone to see, I shared my work with close friends I trusted, I then moved into new territories of vulnerability when I introduced my blog to my family. Surprisingly they they told me to go for it, so I did just that. The support helps you push through doubt, although for some, it may be easier to go out and find support and encouragement from complete strangers; a ‘like’ or a ‘follow’ can provide just as much encouragement as you would get from your biggest fan.
- Always Learn and Improve: We have a number of ways to master our talents and improve our skills, even if we don’t have the money for expensive schooling. There’s endless knowledge available at your fingertips: YouTube is a great way to begin, Edx is also a great resource! My dad always said to me “even if you become a Bin man, you must aim to be the best Bin man there ever was” In order to become the best, you need to always find ways to improve the skills and talents you have, master them! I employ this activity every single day, I try hard to improve and grow as a blogger, a coach and a person. Always be open to learning, it’ll help you understand more about what you want so that you can confidently engage with others.
- Build a Network: Seek out others that share your dream: Want to sing? Find singers to jam with. Want to be an entrepreneur then seek out others that share that ambition… It’s not too difficult, if you look hard enough you’ll find many people who share a similar aspirations as yours. Work with each other and share your skills, you may even collaborate. Nothing gets my creative juices flowing than speaking with people who get what I get. It helps to know you’re not alone and although many may not understand, there will always be a few that do and before you know it, you’re surrounding yourself with the energy you need to make your dream a reality.
- NEVER lose sight: Never forget why and what you’re working for, hold onto your dream and never let go. Doubt and negativity will sometimes get in the way but so long as you keep fuelling that fire behind your passion, the easier it will be believing in yourself and to remain focused. I’m always open for constructive criticism and the opinions of experts, it’s an opportunity to learn and grow, it’ll keep you grounded and on track with what it is you want to achieve.